Monday, August 18, 2008

T-N(ightmare)agar

If you thought that you know everything about the inflation in India, think again! Well, have you ever visualised what inflation looks like? I literally saw inflation right in front of my eyes.
It all started from the most inauspicious moment I planned to visit the hustling T-Nagar in Chennai on a Sunday evening. The place is famous for all shoppers & window shoppers & etc's who dont want peace of mind. The word 'sunday evening' has its own meaning in this place and its equivalent to "welcome to Hell". I realized this when the bus I boarded stopped miles away from the usual bus terminus. As soon as I got down, I was greeted by hawkers selling fruits and flowers. I carried on with my mind set on the Saravana stores because I had heard a lot about it.
Enter Saravana Store, a six storeyed "everything available under the roof" building, I wondered how to walk inside because I could not see my legs, they just vanished in the crowd! I managed to climb the stairs right next to the entrance to go up from the ground floor. On the voyage, I could see great serpentine queue's and realized that they were waiting for getting the articles billed for purchase. There was a reason for this impeccable behaviour, Jeans which cost a lot to the common man were available starting from Rs 99 and all the 99 buck jeans got sold out within moments. So people went on to buy the higher range jeans and so on. As time passed by, the number of goods started decreasing and the length of the queue started increasing. After analysing the situating and visualising the term "inflation", I felt it was wise of me to just come out and scamper back home without even a miniscule thought of buying anything or roaming anywhere in the area.
To add to my woes, getting back to the bus stop this time would be a nightmare and the train had almost a 1 mile queue for obtaining tickets, apart from the rush in the local train of chennai city. So, I did the most intelligent thing of walking through small bylanes to reach the next bus stop instead of the terminus. In the process, I ended up with my legs aching all night, but hey, atleast I could see my legs!!

No comments: